Monday, July 07, 2008

We're back...

but you probably didn't know we were gone ;) We returned from Cornerstone last evening. We had a great week camped rigth next to some of our good Cornerstone friends (who actually only live like 45 mintues away so we have no excuse not to see them more often than once a year!). They have 5 kids the last of whom is exactly a year older than D. They're now great buddies!

D thought camping was a blast (he didn't have to shower/bathe once the entire week! Mostly, though I think he thought that the constant playing, artmaking, concert going was kid heaven! And really, it is! G was a perfect baby except for one hour on Saturday night that she spent screaming her head off, inconsolable (and in pain??). I still don't know what hit her besides her telling us that she was just completely sick of camping and being hauled around. The weather was perfect with no major storms, just some heavy rain one night and lovely cool, breezy days with nights that actually got cold!

J & I had probably the most laid back Cornerstone of our many, many festivals (14 for me and 12 for J). I caught only one good lecture and no mind blowing ones. Jim caught 2 maybe 3 good lectures, but again, nothing earth shattering or paradigm shifting! I guess one can only handle so much of that and last year was a particularly good year. As far as concerts go (which, after all, is why most people actually go to the fest), we only caught one really good one, the Lost Dogs. Charlie Peacock was also good but Over the Rhine felt a little tired this year (maybe the difference between starting a tour out and ending a tour (last year vs this year) and the Main Stage 25 years celebration was a complete bust. Other than that we didn't hear any music at all! When these old bands quit playing the festival we're truly going to end up having music free festivals! We're such old farts :)

I'll post some pics soon. There are some good ones of D throwing hay at some other little boys and our own personal rock concert a la D-boy! I believe our son will be one those obnoxious kids with a generator screaming his head off along Music Row all too soon!

2 comments:

Phvern said...

I thought the OTR concert at midnight was pretty good; they were definitely tired at main stage. I felt the crowd that night was completely snobby and mostly interested in yucky pop bands. i have rude words about that. Same here on the lectures, but the weather made up for it all. Sixpence was awesome too, and yes, we are old farts! Sigh. i did like Josh Garrels and the Lee boys, oddly enough :)

2WeeMonsters said...

Honestly, at the midnight show I ended up leaving around 1/2 way. G was asleep at the tent and I kept having visions of a cold dead baby when I got back. It wasn't a bad concert but it did seem a bit lackluster, especially when compared to last years outstanding show. So that coupled with my own post-partum insanity made it not worth staying for. And yeah, i forgot about Josh Garrels whom I love and enjoyed his concert. And I finally caught all of a psalters show this year, too. Also awesome!