Saturday, November 15, 2008

Chicken Slaughter

I did it :) Today I helped my friend slaughter her backyard flock. 5 chickens, 4 hours, 2 fussy babies & 2 rockin' mamas! It was not as bad as I thought it might be. However, the first bird suffered for our complete city slicker ignorance as we didn't get the throat cut in the most effective way, but after that it went pretty smoothly. It was a lot of labor, that's for sure! And I am glad we did it on a cold day so we didn't need to worry too much about bacteria growth. Anyway, earlier I posted on how domestic I felt. Now I feel like some sort of macho urban pioneer or something (although any real pioneer would have laughed their heads off at how stupid we were bungling that first kill. Or plucking. Or how we never could quite figure out how to eviscerate the bird without splitting the breast.)

Maybe I can actually do this whole urban homesteading thing ;) (sorry Micah, no pics this time)!

5 comments:

The Moore Family said...

Why did you have to slaughter? Did they eat the chickens? Please expound!!!

2WeeMonsters said...

Oh, yeah, the obvious!! We slaughtered them because they were done laying and they're going to eat the meat. And I got one chicken for my efforts :)

Candy Von Tramp said...

Chickens might be different but when you eviscerate doves you go in from under the tail and can pretty much rip the breast meat away from the organs in one big tear....

this sounds awesome btw

Travels said...

My, my that cute little Abby teaching you how to eviscerate more effectively... I hope she's not talking about the local aviarians that perch on our roofs as "doves." Love all your pics. They are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

you know they sell chicken at the grocery store... you can buy a whole chicken... already cooked if you want. it also comes in packs of boneless tenderloins and chicken breasts. Just FYI...