Sunday, November 22, 2009

Hens...


Hens..., originally uploaded by studor.

So here they are. Not a great picture of them and they're molting so they don't even look very lovely now anyway. But here they are! Just a note: chickens are pretty dumb and really dirty but I don't ever foresee a time without a small flock again. It's kinda awesome not having to buy eggs (though they've fallen off so much with the darker days that I actually am buying eggs right now). And, twice now I've put the chicken's tractor over a new garden bed I'm trying to dig... and they've basically dug it for me. Plus fertilized it. So dumb they may be but good little farm workers they are, regardless. We'll keep 'em.

Our yard is now about 1/3 food production with another bed being started next spring (the chickens are working on it right now :) This yard is going to be so awesome and then it will be time to find a bigger house! Then I get to start all over again... yippee.

3 comments:

Jeff Moore said...

I have always thought that they were actually pretty smart for being a bird and all as they don't have much need to extraneous knowledge (diagraming sentences & algebra for example). Dumb to our standards, yes, but i would argue quite smart for the animal kingdom.

Jeff Moore said...

Post edit: "need FOR extraneous..." maybe the birds would have caught that typo before posting the comment.

2WeeMonsters said...

hmm, I don't know. I've seen little evidence of much animal smarts, really. Course, I guess I'm comparing them to dogs and cats who are *obviously* higher on the ladder, right? ;)

seriously, why do you think they are smart-ish?