D and I have been doing a very casual potty training since the beginnings of summer. I think he was 16 or 17 months old when I bought his potty. I was all about getting the ideas across before summer was over (warm weather, lots of bare butt time and I REALLY don't want two in diapers). I didn't care if we were accident free all the time, but just so long as we were on our way, right? The first day was awesome! By the end of the day he told me, "pee-pee" and held it til we got to the potty. That was our highpoint for the summer. We started travelling, I got pregnant and morning sickness (read: lazy, sick, tired). And our potty training days pretty much meant the diapers were used to clean up the puddles. Rarely did we ever catch anything on the potty. But, we'd still do the occasional diaper free day just to keep the concept out there.
As the weather has turned cooler I've realized my days are numbered for bare butt time (and have I said how I REALLY do not want 2 in diapers?!?!) so it was time to get serious. Last week, I decided to take the plunge and ditch the diapers even when we are out. Why? I don't know, life isn't challenging enough I guess. I thought, I'll try it for a month and re-evaluate then. We started this crazy plan on Friday and I am proud to announce that D had a 99% accident free day yesterday! He is still too distracted when we are out playing with friends so I put him in a snap-on fitted diaper and call it underwear. That way it will catch a big pee (or poop for that matter) but won't make puddles on people's floors. But at home, he makes it into the potty. Even if he starts to pee he'll stop and say, "Mama, POTTY!" and off we go :) And he refuses to wear a diaper except for bedtime. (If I ask him if he wants a diaper while we are out he sounds offended and says, "No mama, und-wear." Like, c'mon mom, get with the program!
I'm pretty proud of my little man and honestly surprised. I guess it all goes back to low expectations. If you think your kid is capable of little, they will never fail to astound you!
what's in a tense?
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment